Here Throckmorton rejoined, and sever al days were spent photographing
and making notes on hulls of sailing ships and steamers in the vicinity of the naval shipyard.
For nearly a hundred years, damaged or outmoded ships were used as floating storage hulks for wool from the surrounding ranches and coal for steamships rounding the southern tip of the continent.
Many were taken away and scrapped, but the remains of four sailing ships and two steamers are still grounded along the shore.
Two of the sailing ships, and one steamer, were sunk perpendicular to the shore to form a breakwater for the shipyard,
a purpose they still serve. Ttie outermost is the iron four-masted fullrigged ship County of Peebles built at Glasgow in 1875 .
She is one of three vessels of this rig known to still be in existence.
(The others are the Falls of Clyde, a museum in Hawaii, and the County of Roxburgh, on a reef in the South Pacific.)
The County of Peebles was the first one launched in Great Britain, which produced all of those built of iron and steel.
Ships in the Straits Her hull is intact, with four lowermasts still standing.
The living quarters had been stripped, but a few years ago the area of the aft accommodations was renovated to serve as a meeting room.
Inshore of the County of Peebles lies the ancient steamer Hipparchus, built of iron at Sunderland,
England in 1867 for a Belgian company trading with South America.
She may well be the most intact ocean steamship of her period. The Hipparchus was bark-rigged when launched, and still retains her chain plates and many lower deadeyes.
The hull is intact, stripped of all deck planking, masts and fittings.
The engineroom casing survives, but the engines have long since been removed . Hipparchus has a straight stem and a feature that would soon be disappearing from steamships, stern windows.
Furthest inshore in the breakwater is the Falstaff, an iron full-rigged ship built at Barrow, England in 1875 .
Ships in the Straits She is in much the sai:ne condition as the Hipparchus.
Traces of a painted port color scheme can still be made out on her sides. About 100 yards south of the breakwater of ships some wreckage can be seen in shallow water offshore.
This the remains of the iron bark Lady Penrhyn, built at Glasgow in 1875.
Renamed America as a storage hulk, she parted her cable and drove ashore here in a gale around 1927.
A hundred yards further down the beach lies the partially scrapped hull of the steel ship Lonsdale, built at Londonderry, Ireland in 1889.
For more information: ฝากขั้นต่ำ 50 บาท